Saturday 21 July 2007

What-a Lot-a Potter

Unless you're a moon man living in a cave on the moon with a moon bag over your head, and moon headphones on listening to 'Walking on the Moon', you'll know that the seventh and last Harry Potter book has finally been released. Some people will be very excited by this news. Others won't care. But whatever the case, it's fascinating to witness the scenes of craziness the adventures of the little speccy oik have inspired. Book shops have never seemed so rock n' roll as when they're open at midnight and hoards of people are jostling through the doors. It's highly unlikely we'll ever see scenes like this again. And it's a British author that's made it happen. We should be very proud. I did wonder though, as I saw the people queuing outside Waterstones, whether or not old JK ever has the urge to walk past one at random and shout 'Yeah. I made yo freeze yo asses off, just to buy a damn book . I own you, bitches!'

Because I was there. Well, I was having a drink in Notting Hill with a mate of mine and my girlfriend. She likes the books and a couple of shops were opening late/early, so we hung around for a bit after the pub shut and got a copy. Just the one, JK ain't owning my ass! I think my girlfriend had already read two chapters by the time the night bus dropped us off. Well, not before I'd flicked to the last page to find out what happens. Who'd have though they'd burn Ron in a big Wicker Man, Snape turned out to be Harry's father, Dumbledore was a figment of Hermione's imagination and Hogwarts was Earth all along.

No comments: